Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The Most Amazing Vegan Sausages #vegan #sausages

I am by no means a vegetarian or vegan. I do, however, like to enjoy vegan and/or vegetarian dishes every now and again. We have posted several veggie burger and meatball recipes on our blog but have not posted any sausages until today.

Sausages and wieners are pretty hard to replicate as far as texture goes - in my opinion. They are usually just too funky for me. This recipe though.... I really like the texture and the flavor is pretty tasty too. I made them a bit smaller - like breakfast sausage size - but when I make then again I'm going to make them the size of a hot dog wiener so I can try it on a bun like a hot dog.

This recipe makes a good amount - I believe 21 smallish sausages - and, once steamed, they freeze beautifully.


Ingredients:


  • 2 cans (540 ml each) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed & drained
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 3/4 cup potato starch
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic granules (or 2 cloves minced garlic)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper


Instructions:


  1. In a food processor or blender, process chickpeas until smooth paste. Note - this can take some time as you have to keep stopping and scraping the sides, just be patient. :)
  2. When smooth, scrape into a mixing bowl. Add in the tomato paste and potato starch.
  3. In another mixing bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
  4. Stir all the ingredients together in one bowl. Pinch off some of the mixture and form into a sausage shape. I made mine about the size of a large finger. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
  5. Take a piece of plastic wrap and wrap each sausage - leaving enough on each end to twist up like a candy wrapper. (See photo below for clarity)
  6. Place sausages in a double boiler (or steamer) and steam for 20 minutes. Be sure to only cook them in a single layer at a time - I had to do 3 separate steaming batches. (FYI - remember to check the double boiler/steamer that the water in the bottom has not evaporated off in between cooking the sausages)
  7. After 20 minutes, remove from the double boiler (or steamer) and let cool. When cool enough to handle, gently remove the plastic wrap.
  8. Place in fridge until ready to eat. They are good in the fridge for 3 or 4 days BUT can be frozen in an airtight container for much longer.
  9. When ready to eat - you can BBQ them or fry them in a pan. They hold together wonderfully.
  10. I fried a big pan of onions and mushrooms first......
  11. Then cooked my sausages in a nonstick pan until heated through. I didn't add any extra oil but you certainly can add a little if you like.
  12. Then I served the sausages on top of the caramelized onions.
  13. They look like "real" sausages, don't you think? (FYI - the larger sausages on the end are another experiment of mine. They are vegetarian sausages, not vegan, and I will post the recipe for those once I tweak the recipe a bit!)